Street Fighter 6 Cammy

Final painting

After many months leaving this as a work in progress, I took the time to paint this image starting in December 2023 until this month. I drew the pencil in July and finished inking early August. My goal from the start was to finish a painting complex enough for my current skill.

Inked image

On hindsight, the composition is rather simple; it felt complex during inking stage. What I remember most, though, was how tough painting was at the beginning stage. There were more elements than what I was used to and I painted myself into muddy look. I did not know what to do to improve the painting, so I left it in WIP stash.

State of the painting when I left off

When I resumed a few months layer, I still did not know what to do, lol. I simply went back mentally prepared to really work on the painting. I began with tidying up sloppy areas. Soon I was trying to make the foreground Cammy warmer (yellow/orange) and the midground cooler (cyan/blue).

A little better with warm and cool colors

The big improvement jump was getting value grouping right. I brighten the foreground Cammy so much that I was certain that I was doing something wrong.

Big improvement due to value grouping

After this step, the painting felt much easier. I made another dramatic change that I was certain to be wrong with the "ink" behind foreground Cammy: I darken them so much that they no longer looked like the ink effect in the game. To compensate, I added halftone pattern to give them "graphic" look. The final touch was the graffiti text to mimic the street style of the game.

I am really happy with how this image turned out. Here is a progress video just for fun.

Comments

Popular Posts